When talking face to face with people most of us know the importance of having a dialogue; a two-way conversation that usually gives us an insight into the other person's life and business.
The beauty of Digital Marketing is that it allows the same process to happen online. Initially, businesses had only one option of promoting themselves and it was via what I call the monologue marketing tools, nothing wrong with them but I generally believe mix and match are always best, and a dialogue marketing tool gives you a quicker response and a wider audience.
So why is Digital Marketing a two-way conversation or dialogue tool? Because in the digital world your audience, customers and employees can have their say, can give feedback and can have a relationship with businesses.
However this concept is sometimes forgotten on Social Media and many of us are sometimes are so taken by our own topics, that we mistakenly fall into having a monologue and forget how to Be Social.
How do we avoid falling into the monologue trap?
- Visit other's profiles and ask them questions about their business, their hobbies and common interests.
- The key is “Be Social”. Imagine you are talking to a friend, but keep a friendly professional tone.
- Open Conversation, ask open questions. i.e. "What's your view on ....?"
- Comment on posts you found interesting and topics they've discussed and make sure you open new conversations.
- Share or Retweet if someone posts something that interests you.
Don’t forget to Share and Listen!
On social media like in life, it’s important to build a relationship... A good relationship is when both parties are equal and respect each other and the same should happen on Social Media