Website vs Social Media… Do we really need to choose? In our opinion NO! A business equally needs both and here are a few benefits for both:
Why Social Media:
- You can have interactive competition and games having real-time responses, you could do it with a website and as much as you have more freedom but the effect isn’t quite the same
- People who follow you and other people get your updates without having to physically visit your site, it’s like having advertising space in a magazine where you and fellow business owners can inform your audience of any news and developments within the business
- Fresh and concise content that can go out quickly even using your mobile (you can do the same with websites if you have a user-friendly Content Management System or if you have the skills to use certain web tools)
- Easier to reach both a wider and a targeted audience
- Depending on how you develop your website Social Media may sometimes be easier to use
- Bespoke design to match your corporate identity
- Full control over branding, content and data
- If you run competitions on your website you set the rules and do not have to follow any social media platforms guidelines
- A good website has an equally easy Content Management system so you can add delete pages and change content and pictures easily
- You create your own policy and do not have to adapt to third parties changes
- Your website should be your central hub where all the information can be gathered and on social platforms, you can then share part of that information as and when you wish.
So which should come first the website or social media?
Social Media is easier, quicker and cheaper to set up but once you set it up where do you send people to? So in our opinion, in business planning is crucial, you don’t want to rush anything and make mistakes, by planning a website it will open your mind about areas of your business you may want to focus on in the future and define your aims, objective and target audience… all of these are areas we cover before starting your website. While your website is being developed you can then prepare your social media strategy and see how you will drive traffic to your site and make these two digital tools work for your business. Once your website is live you can then set up all the platforms you decided on your strategy and let the fun commence!