With the introduction of social media and apps do we still need a website?
Websites nowadays are used for more than just sharing information, we like to think of a website like your business passport, with all the details customers’ needs and the ability to interact and purchase or download data if you so wish.
- In the past few years people have started to rely more on social networks to connect with other people, so does that make websites obsolete? Absolutely not, there are so many reasons why websites are still very important.
- Your website is the only online place you own. So you have control over the brand, the content, the pictures, the data… everything.
- Seems hard to believe but your website is your only constant, let’s take a trip to 2003 / 2004 MySpace was huge, everyone used it and if you asked anyone back then they would never have expected it to demise. So unlikely yes but what if your favourite social media platform disappears or becomes obsolete? The number of young people using Facebook is decreasing slowly, so it’s not that much of a far fetch of an idea that you shouldn’t rely heavily on something you have no control over.
- No matter how far Social Media has taken us, a business with no website is somehow perceived not as established or professional as one who has a professionally designed one.
- Websites are the window to our business, it’s our clients’ chance to see what we are about and what we have to offer without characters restrictions or fancy social jargons. So with a website, we can have fun with content and take it as far as we want.
- When a website is designed properly, you can compile your own database and in some cases, you could send newsletters straight from your website. (you will still have to comply with Email Preference Service)
- Compile a list of testimonials – yes you can do that on social media, but as mention before your website is forever.
- People still use Google for their search, so with a well-updated website, you have higher chances of high ranking.
- Having a blog or a news page that you update regularly keeps your website, fresh, up to date and interesting for viewers.
- Consistency – over the past few years social media platform changed the look of their pages making it harder to have brand consistency
- Last but not least your page can be shut down by social media platform.
To have or not to have a website? That is the question!
So do you need a website?
In our opinion YES. You don’t need it as you did 15 years. Years ago, before businesses started using digital marketing, when businesses were promoting their companies, they used tools that were only one way (TV, Press, Print, Radio) those means didn’t allow for quick client feedback. Nowadays Digital Marketing allows us to have more relaxed and constant relationship with our audience and in our opinion, your website is the hub where they will all end up to get more information about you and your business.
So have clear objectives of what you want the website to do for you, and if you are unsure speak to professionals like us that can give you an idea on what your website could do for you.